Friday, January 18, 2008

Day 5 - Week in Review

I feel like I've been in the classroom a million years already, but yet the week has flown by. One week down, eleven to go. And I'm exhausted already.

All in all, I'd say that the week was a success. I spent Monday observing and learning about the students and the school. Tuesday I actually starting working with kids, and really enjoyed that. For the rest of the week, I did small group work (tons of long division) and some one-on-one work. Today I read my first story out-loud, and I think the kids really enjoyed that! I also got to meet my clinical supervisor today. He seems pretty laid back so hopefully we will get along well. My first observation is scheduled for January 30!

My strengths in the classroom so far are in explaining and teaching. One of my students, M, was really struggling with long division, so I spent a good hour re-teaching and explaining it to him. The next morning, he brought me a donut that he said was from his mom for helping him with his division. His mom happens to be a teacher at our school, and when I saw her at lunch she thanked me for helping him and said that he finally got it! She said he came home so excited because "Ms. Holt finally explained it so I could understand it". I seem to have really helped several students like this over the week.

As far as classroom management is concerned, my main weakness is knowing when to step in. There really are very few problems in the classroom, and I really hate to get on the kids all the time, but I know it is necessary so that they see me as an authority figure. I have really been working hard to keep them quiet in the halls (a school rule) as well as on task in the classroom.

Well, 5 days down, 55 to go!

No comments: